- As intelligence increases, speech decreases.
- Time wears our bodies, renews desires, brings death nearer and takes away aspirations. Whoever is successful with it encounters grief and whoever misses its favours also undergoes hardships.
- Whoever places himself as a leader of the people should commence with educating his own self before educating others; and his teaching should be by his own conduct before teaching by the tongue. The person who teaches and instructs his own self is more entitled to esteem then he who teaches and instructs others.
- The breath of a man is a step towards his death.
- Every countable thing is to pass away and every expected thing must come about.
- If matters get mixed up then the last ones should be appreciated according to the previous One.
It is related when Dirar ibn Hamzah ad-Dibabi went to Muawiya. and Muawiya enquired from him about Imam, he said: I stand witness I have seen him on several occasions when night had spread and he was standing in the niche holding his heard, groaning like a man bitten by a snake and weeping as a grieved man, saying:
O world, O world! Get away from me. Why do you present yourself to me? Or are you eager for me? You may not get that opportunity to impress me. Deceive some other person. I have no concern with you. I have divorced you thrice whereafter there is no restitution. Your life is short, your importance is little and your liking is humble. Alas! The provision is little, the way is long, the journey is far and the goal is hard to reach.
A man enquired from Imam: Was our going to fight against the Syrians destined by Allah? Imam (a.s.) , gave a detailed reply, a selection from which is hereunder:
Woe to you. You take it as a final and unavoidable destiny (according to which we are bound to act). If it were so, there would have been no question of reward or chastisement and there would have been no sense in Allah’s promises or warnings. (Allah, the Glorified, has ordered ills people to act by free will and has cautioned them and refrained them (from evil). He has placed easy obligations on them and has not put heavy obligations. He gives them much (reward) in return for little (action). He is disobeyed, not because He is overpowered. He is obeyed but not under force. He did not send prophets just for fun. He did not send down the Book for the people without purpose. He did not create the skies, the earth and all that is in between them in vain. That is the imagination of those who disbelieve; then woe to those who disbelieve – because of the fire. (Quran, 38:27)
- Take wise points from wherever they may be, because if a wise saying is in the bosom of a hypocrite it flutters in his bosom till it comes out and settles with others of its own category in the bosom of the believer.
- A wise saying is a lost article of the believer. Therefore, get wise sayings even though from people of hypocrisy.